2015 Trolley Tunnel Blitz
Beginning Friday, July 31 at 10:00 p.m. - End of Service, Sunday, August 16, 2015
SEPTA forces will work around the clock, maximizing our time during a 16 day Trolley Tunnel outage, to perform maintenance and construction work that is critical to providing reliable, safe service and improving your travel environment
CHANGES TO SERVICE DURING TROLLEY TUNNEL BLITZ
- Trolley Routes 11, 13, 34, & 36 will temporarily divert to 40th & Market Streets. Trolley Route 10 will temporarily divert to 40th & Filbert Sts.
- Customers may transfer at 40th Street to the Market-Frankford Line for service to/from Center City
- Please look for signs and brochures across the system for additional boarding and service information
TROLLEY SERVICE WILL NOT OPERATE IN THE TUNNEL AT ANY TIME DURING TROLLEY TUNNEL BLITZ
- Customers can transfer to Market-Frankford Line Weekday Night Owl Bus Service or the weekend all-night Train service while this work takes place
WHAT'S HAPPENING DURING THE 2015 TROLLEY TUNNEL BLITZ
Members of SEPTA's Track Department will replace almost 7,500 feet (more than one mile) of track on the westbound side of the tunnel between 22nd Street Station and the 40th Street Portal.
Other work that will be completed during the trolley closure includes:
Replacing eastbound protection board (a part of the system attaching overhead wire to the tunnel ceiling).
- Making numerous station repairs and improvements, including renewed stairs and platforms at 13th and 19th Street Stations.
- Continuing replacement of florescent lighting with high-efficiency LED lighting at all stations.
- Installing additional LED lighting within the track area around the 13th Street Station curve
- Repairing and clearing track drains throughout the tunnel, reducing standing water.
- Performing maintenance tasks including graffiti removal, tile repair, painting, drain clearing and heavy cleaning at all stations.
- Testing emergency generators and lighting throughout the tunnel
IS THIS WORK DIFFERENT FROM LAST YEAR?
- We're starting where we left off last summer with a program focused on track and power improvements to install additional rail and overhead wire supports, along with an aggressive station repair program to continue to provide safe, reliable service
YOUR SAFETY DURING THE TROLLEY TUNNEL BLITZ
- We are committed to providing you with a safe riding experience and environment
- ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings
- LOOK for station signs for boarding information
- DO NOT enter areas that are gated or blocked off
The Trolley Tunnel Blitz is part of Rebuilding for the Future, our infrastructure, investment, and revitalization program that tackles a $5 billion backlog of projects, including power, track, communications, signals, and bridge and station improvements
View photos from the 2014 Trolley Tunnel Blitz in the slideshow below