Environmental and Sustainability Management System
SEPTA's Sustainability Program is a framework for implementing new and innovative solutions to persistent problems. But advancing an agenda of economic prosperity, social responsibility, and environmental stewardship in an era of budgetary constraints and limited resources requires proactive planning and creative approaches for implementation.
Recognizing this, a key component of SEPTA's Sustainability Program implementation strategy will focus on management systems - squeezing more out of less by making institutional processes more efficient.
It is in this context that SEPTA applied for and was accepted to the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) 2011 Environmental & Sustainability Management System (ESMS) training and assistance program for public transportation agencies. FTA's training is designed to help agencies develop and implement ESMS using the 14001 standard of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The ISO 14001 Standard is a toolbox of management techniques to minimize environmental impacts through a method of continual improvement called "plan-do-check-act":
- Plan: Establish the objectives, programs & processes to deliver results in accordance with the environmental policy
- Do: Implement the programs & processes
- Check: Monitor and measure processes against policy, objectives, targets, and requirements, and report the results
- Act: Take actions to continually improve programmatic performance towards objectives & targets
SEPTA's participation in the FTA's ESMS training and assistance program reflects its commitment to its sustainability program.
- 11.05.13 | Berridge Shop Awarded Top Environmental Certification
- 02.12.13 | ESMS Annual Progress Report
- 07.08.11 | Embracing Environmental & Sustainability Management
IN THE NEWS:
- 11.15.13 - SEPTA Facility Achieves Top Environmental Certification | Passenger Transport
- 11.11.13 - SEPTA's Green Garage Achieves Environmental Certification | PlanPhilly